Hair is an amazing substance. Both light and flexible, human hair is stronger than steel at the same thickness. It grows at a speed of 1.25 centimetres every month, and shares the same basic building blocks with fingernails, pangolin scales and rhino horn. It’s not surprising, given all these traits, that hair also breaks records.
Every year, all sorts of extremes are reached or surpassed involving the humble hair – some of them funny, some of them impressive – and the Guinness Book of World Records details all of them. Below are a couple of the more exciting, or bizarre, feats!
- The world’s tallest Mohawk belongs to Japanese fashion designer Kazuhiro Watanabe. It is over 1.13 metres tall, and took 15 years to grow!
- The largest gathering of natural redheads occurred on the 17th July 2012 at Skyline High School in Sammamish, Washington, USA. Anne Lindsay Photography organised the event, and used clickers and pre-registration to count participants.
- The most expensive hair clippings ever sold were cut from the head of the king of Rock n’ Roll, Elvis Presley. Presley’s personal barber Homer Gilleland sold the clippings for $115,120 (£72,791) to an anonymous buyer in an online auction held on 15 November 2002.
- The record for the longest hair was last set in 2004 when Chinese woman Xie Qiuping’s locks were measured. They came out at a whopping 5.627 metres (18 ft 5.54 in)! Hair of such length is very unusual, as in most people the length of the hair growth cycle means individual hairs will only grow to a maximum of 24cm – 48cm before they are shed and replaced by new hairs growing from the scalp.
- The oldest preserved human hair in the world is from the Chinchorro Mummies of South America, the eldest of which are some 5000 years old.
Award-winning hairloss treatment
Although The Belgravia Centre hasn’t earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records, we are the UK’s leading hair loss clinic, and for us, hearing from patients who are overjoyed with the results of their treatment is better than breaking any world record! You can view comments and results photos from hundreds of these patients on our Facebook Timeline and our Hair Loss Success Stories. The results speak for themselves!
We don’t rely on gimmicks or publicity stunts. Instead, our experts take a scientific, professional approach to hair loss, designing bespoke treatment plans that will help rejuvenate thinning hair and reverse receding hairlines. In addition to prescription medications, such as Minoxidil and Propecia, we also include a range of growth-boosters, such as the FDA-cleared Laser Comb and Hair Vitalics hair growth supplement, in our hair loss treatment plans.
Contact us online or call 0800 077 6666 to book a no-obligation appointment. Alternatively, you can complete our online diagnostic form, which enables our experts to assess your hair loss remotely and get in touch to discuss your options.