In terms of versatility, some would think that people from East Asia got the short end of the stick when it comes to hair, but their naturally sleek straight and dark style proves a force to be reckoned with. Just look at the creativity of the Harajuku styles. There are scientific differences between hair ethnicities and East Asian hair is stronger, more resilient to damage and less prone to hair loss than other hair types.
East Asian hair facts:
* East Asian hair has twice the diameter and a much thicker cuticle than Caucasian hair. Most hair types have around five layers of cuticles while East Asian hair has closer to ten.
* East Asian’s have anywhere between 80,000 and 140,000 scalp hairs but, typically, they have fewer hairs per square centimetre than Caucasians. (They also tend to have less body and facial hair.) However, because the individual hair shafts are thicker, it gives the impression of greater hair density.
* East Asian hair grows faster than Afro-Caribbean or Caucasian hair at a record rate of 1.3 cm a month, and it also has the longest cycle of growth, lasting up to nine years compared to the average two to seven years.
* On average, East Asians also shed fewer hairs a day and tend to experience less balding. Some sources say that for every balding East Asian man there are three balding Caucasians. Greying of hair also starts later but it is not known why.
* East Asian women, however, have an increased likelihood of experiencing more overall hair thinning than Caucasians or Afro-Caribbean’s.
* The Belgravia Centre has observed that East Asian hair generally reacts faster to hair loss treatments, probably because it grows faster than other hair types.
* East Asian hair usually has higher porosity levels, absorbing and retaining moisture more quickly. The hair contains a medulla filled with plenty of dark pigment, which is thought to contribute to its shine and high moisture content. However, because East Asian hair is thicker and sometimes longer, it also tends to lose more moisture, which can lead to dryness and split ends.
* Asian countries are the prime source of human hair used for wigs and hair extensions because the hair is long, straight, strong, and rarely tampered with chemicals.
* The shape of the follicle largely determines how hair grows. Because East Asian hair follicles are almost always completely round, they typically have very straight hair. On the other hand, Afro-Caribbean hair follicles are oval and the hair grows in a spiral-like fashion.
If thinning or hair loss is a concern for you, please contact the Belgravia Centre on 020 7730 6666 or send an email to find out how you can become another of our hair loss success stories. If you can’t visit the centre, you can still take advantage of our online diagnostic form. The information you provide will allow our hair loss specialists to diagnose the condition and give you medically sound, personalised recommendations for hair loss stabilisation and improved hair growth.
Hair Loss in Men
Hair Loss in Women
Hair Loss Success Stories
Treating Asian Hair Loss
The Basics of Hair Growth
Chinese Don't Trust Chinese Medicine
The Belgravia Centre is a world-renowned group of a hair loss clinic in Central London, UK. If you are worried about hair loss you can arrange a free consultation with a hair loss expert or complete our Online Consultation from anywhere in the world for home-use treatment.
View our Hair Loss Success Stories, which includes the world's largest gallery of hair growth photos and demonstrates the level of success that so many of Belgravia's patients achieve.