Question: How do I apply Minoxidil?
Minoxidil Liquid Solution
To correctly use minoxidil liquid, you must apply 1ml of Minoxidil onto a dry scalp (either once a day or twice a day depending on instructions), by doing the following:
*When using liquid minoxidil dispensed from the Belgravia pharmacy for the first time, begin by using a 0.5ml dose for the first week, increasing to 0.75ml for the second week and working your way to a full 1ml dose from the third week onward.
- Draw 1ml of Minoxidil into the syringe provided.
- Keeping the head tilted back, release the liquid onto different areas of the front and top of the scalp.
- Ensure the tip of the syringe is touching the scalp to ensure little gets absorbed into the hair.
- Some may drip – if so you can use the position of your head to guide the minoxidil liquid to the areas required.
- Leave the areas of application untouched for a few minutes.
- Wash your hands immediately after use.
- Rinse the syringe after each use with clean water.
- Wash the syringe out by pulling water into the syringe until it is full and pushing the water out. Carry this process out once or twice.
When using the Minoxidil cream for the first time please start with a small (about a quarter of the spoon) dose, gradually increasing over two weeks to the full dose of 1ml.
- Fill the spoon with the required amount of minoxidil cream (usually 1ml). One level spoonful is the full dose of 1ml – we have provided a spatula for leveling the amount in the spoon. Return any excess cream into the pot.
- Using the fingertips, take dabs of cream and rub into the scalp gently in the direction of the hair. Start with the areas most affected by hair loss or thinning and try to ensure cream is not absorbed into the hair.
- Repeat these steps for different areas of the scalp until the required measurement has been used up.
- The cream should disappear with no visible residue on the skin or hair.
- Wash hands immediately after use.
- Wash any further excess cream out of the spoon. Each tub of minoxidil cream is over-filled slightly to make up for any wastage.
- Discontinue use if you experience any irritation, headaches, faintness, dizziness, stomach pains, swollen hands or feet or heart palpitations.
- Never apply to open sores or cuts to the skin.
- Occasionally hair growth on other parts of the body may be experienced.
- If you experience any of these or any other side effects, please discontinue treatment and contact the clinic immediately.
- Women must NOT use if pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Use only as these instructions state. Read the instructions with the medications carefully.
- Do not refrigerate but keep in a cool place and protect from sunlight.
Additional Q&A on Applying Minoxidil
What if my hair is damp or wet when I apply the minoxidil?
It is always best to apply minoxidil to a completely dry scalp. If however the hair is slightly damp, the product should still be absorbed sufficiently. It is not advised to apply minoxidil whilst the hair is considerably wet.
How long after applying minoxidil can I go to bed?
Minoxidil takes 30 minutes to be absorbed into the scalp but should have sunk in sufficiently to allow you to go to bed within 5 minutes after applying. If your scalp still feels slightly wet from minoxidil liquid, try to sit up until it has dried or been completely absorbed.
Can I brush my hair after applying minoxidil?
Before brushing your hair, allow around 30 minutes for the minoxidil to absorb sufficiently into your scalp. This will ensure no product is removed by the hair brush, or brushed into the hair.
What happens if some minoxidil liquid drips down my head?
It is very difficult to prevent any minoxidil from dripping down your forehead or the back of your neck. If this happens, just wipe it off with a towel. If minoxidil dries on the skin it can cause a white powdery mark, but this is very easy to wipe off with a towel or with one’s finger.
If you would like to enquire about minoxidil formulations available from Belgravia please call 0800 077 6666 or message the centre. Alternatively you can complete an online diagnostic form which will be instantly submitted to the centre following which you will be contacted by a Belgravia treatment advisor.